Federal Tax for Small Businesses

This guide provides an overview of federal tax duties for small businesses.

Updated on
Jan 23, 2024
min read
Fees and Taxes

Every small business, regardless of its locality, must adhere to federal tax regulations. Neglecting or misrepresenting tax obligations to the IRS can lead to severe financial and legal repercussions. However, understanding and fulfilling these obligations doesn't have to be a daunting task.

Federal Taxation for Small Business: LLCs

The tax obligations of a business largely depend on its structure. Different tax requirements apply to sole proprietorships, partnerships, LLCs, and corporations. LLCs are favored by many due to their ease of formation and enhanced legal protection compared to sole proprietorships and partnerships. The tax implications for an LLC depend on its type and the number of members.

Single-Member LLCs and Sole Proprietorships

For single-member LLCs, the IRS treats them similarly to sole proprietorships. The business income is reported on the owner's personal tax return. Unless the LLC has employees or specific financial activities, an Employer Identification Number (EIN) might not be necessary. Key tax forms for single-member LLCs include:

  • Schedule C (Profit or Loss from Business)
  • Schedule SE (Self-Employment Tax)
  • Form 1040 (Personal Income Tax Return)

Multi-Member LLCs

For LLCs with multiple members, the IRS typically classifies them as partnerships for tax purposes. Such businesses are subject to pass-through taxation, where individual members report their share of profits and losses. Essential tax forms for multi-member LLCs include:

  • Form 1065 (U.S. Return of Partnership)
  • Schedule K-1 (reported on Schedule E)
  • Schedule SE (Self-Employment Tax)
  • Form 1040 (Personal Income Tax Return)

Federal Taxation for Corporations

Corporations face distinct tax challenges. While they offer ease in raising capital, their tax implications can be stringent. C corporations face double taxation, while S corporations avoid this but have share limitations. Key tax forms for corporations include:

  • Form 1120 (for C Corporations)
  • Form 1120-S (for S Corporations, with shareholders reporting on Schedule K-1)

Preparing for Tax Season: Essential Documentation

Accurate tax filing requires a plethora of supporting documents. Ensure you have records related to:

  • Cost of goods sold
  • Business-related deductions (e.g., travel expenses)
  • Business assets (for depreciation calculations)
  • Home office details (if claiming a deduction)

‍Disclaimer: The content on this page is for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal, tax, or accounting advice. Seek the counsel of a licensed professional for specific questions related to these topics.

Frequently Asked Questions

Have other questions? Chat with a Stellar Operations Manager now.

No items found.
Try the Stellar Company Assistant Now
Click here
Stellar Company Assistant (AI)
Stellar helps business owner to manage corporate services such as incorporation, tax filing and more.